Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Happy Holidays!

It's been a while, but I just want to quickly share with you what I've been working on this Holiday season...

Did a bunch of sewing!  2 Christmas quilts for my mom and dish towels (from Walmart) embellished with some fun fabric:

And of course LOTS of cookie making!  I did myself a favor this year and made all of my dough ahead and froze it.  Now I can just bake as I need them.
*I really wish I had taken a better picture of these...this one doesn't do them justice.  I still have to make more, so maybe I'll update later :o)

Here is a quick recipe for Matt's grandmother's Candy Cane Cookies:


1/2 c shortening
1/2 c butter (room temp)
1 c sifted powdered sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt (if using unsalted butter, use 1 tsp)

Topping:
About 6 candy canes, crushed...as fine as you can get-the chunks tend not to stick to cookie.
1/4 c granulated sugar

Mix first 6 ingredients until smooth.  Whisk flour and salt together and slowly add to wet mixture.  Remove 1/2 of the dough to separate container and color the other 1/2 with red food color.  Chill for just a little bit.

Preheat oven to 375 and line cookie sheets with parchment paper or foil.  (This really just makes for easy clean up)

Roll about a teaspoon of each dough (Red & uncolored) into "noodles" and twist together.  Place on cookie sheets about an inch apart.  Bake for 9 minutes or until just set, not browned.

Mix crushed candy canes and sugar together and sprinkle over cookies as soon as they come out of the oven.

Yield: 4 dozen

I hope you try these!  They are a little time consuming to roll out, but they are my new favorite Christmas cookie and I think you'll love them!!!

If I don't post again before...Have a very Merry Christmas!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment