Yes, it's as good as it sounds.
Tonight I had my parents over for dinner. It's like 19 degrees today so I wanted to make tasty comfort food. On the menu was my version of stuffed cabbage. Sweeties family is Polish...100%. We look forward to Christmas dinner every year because it means we get FRESH Polish Kielbasa (I now refuse to eat anything made by Hillshire Farm), stuffed cabbage (insert Polish name here that I can pronounce, but NOT spell) and lots of other things made from the recipes of his grandmothers.
I have to say it came out much better that I expected! *Pats self on back* They took a little longer to cook than I thought, but I think the grandmas would be quite proud of their non-Polish granddaughter-in-law (to be) :o) Also made some potato pancakes...YUM!! Honestly, I could eat potatoes any which way and be happy! But the best part of the meal is always dessert. So here is the recipe for Coconut Poke Cake from allrecipes.com (frosting recipe is my aunts)...
Your favorite brand of White cake mix
1 14 oz. Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 14 oz. Can Cream of Coconut (I only found 15 oz, so I didn't use all of it)
Frosting Recipe to Follow
Prepare cake according to directions. Mix condensed milk and cream of coconut together. As soon as cake comes out of the oven, pour this mixture all over the cake. Let cool completely then frost.
Frosting:
1 c milk
5 tbsp. flour
Heat and stir over medium heat until very thick (kind of like paste...smells weird at this stage, but I promise it gets better!). Transfer to bowl and put in fridge until completely cooled.
1/2 c shortening
1/2 c butter or margarine
1 c sugar
1-2 tsp coconut extract (depending on your taste)
Mix all ingredients, including milk/flour mixture from earlier on high for 10 minutes and VIOLA!
This frosting can literally be flavored with anything you like. It's my favorite!!
I also toasted some coconut in the oven at 350 for a few minutes. Until it's as brown as you like it.
It was so good! I will totally make this again...Ooh, probably for Easter! Guess what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow!?! OK, maybe not, I have a dress to fit in to!















WOW! That cake looks scrumptious! I may have to try it.
ReplyDeletei totally should have came over!! lol my mouth is watering. but alas, i too have a dress to fit into :o/
ReplyDeleteThat cake looks delicious!!! Glad you had a good time with the family.
ReplyDeletethat looks completely delicious!
ReplyDelete